Every driver should feel safe on Pennsylvania and West Virginia roads. However, distracted driving continues to rise, contributing to the increase in serious injuries and fatalities.
Tractor trailers are also guilty of distracted driving. Unfortunately, when a truck driver becomes unfocused for a moment, the consequences can be tragic. If you or a loved one have been injured due to the neglectful actions of a distracted driver, you are not alone. Our tractor trailer accident lawyers are here to help.
At D’Amico Law Offices, LLC, our Pennsylvania and West Virginia distracted driving accident lawyers have been helping families for decades. We are a family of legal professionals who will protect your best interests and fight to recover the compensation you need to move on with your life.
- How is Distracted Driving in Pennsylvania and West Virginia Defined?
- What Are the Categories of Distracted Driving in Pennsylvania and West Virginia?
- Can A Pennsylvania and West Virginia Tractor Trailer Accident Attorney Help?
- What Are the Most Common Injuries Associated with Distracted Driving?
- What Damages are Available in a Truck Accident Lawsuit?
- Why Choose D’Amico Law Offices, LLC as Your Tractor Trailer Lawyers
- Call Our Distracted Driving Accident Lawyers at D’Amico Law Offices Today
How is Distracted Driving in Pennsylvania and West Virginia Defined?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has been collecting data on distracted driving for years and is leading a national effort to save lives. According to the last reporting year, distracted driving claimed 3,142 lives.
The NHTSA defines distracted driving as “anything that takes your attention away from the task of safe driving.” Examples include:
- Eating, drinking, and smoking
- Adjusting the radio volume or changing the station
- Chatting and laughing with other passengers
- Checking notifications on a cell phone
- Talking, texting, or using social media apps
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has found that:
- Approximately 400,000 people were injured due to distracted drivers
- 1 in 5 fatalities due to a distracted driver were pedestrians, bicyclists, or workers
- Over a ten-year period, an average of 3,000 people were killed each year due to distracted driving
With the list of fatalities growing, it is imperative drivers understand the impact distracted driving is having nationwide and in our states.
How has Pennsylvania been affected by distracted drivers?
According to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation:
- In the last five years, traffic accident fatalities have increased by 4.7%
- In the last reporting year, 1,190 people were killed and more than 78,000 people suffered injuries
- Of the 128,000 collisions across the state, 15.5% can be attributed to distracted drivers
How has West Virginia been affected by distracted drivers?
According to a comprehensive compilation on distracted driving in West Virginia:
- There are more than 50,000 car accidents every year
- 26% of all traffic accidents are the result of a distracted driver
- 23% of distractions can be attributed to cell phone use
- Another 23% of distractions are the result of eating, drinking, and smoking
How does distracted driving affect tractor trailer crashes?
Distracted driving even affects commercial truck drivers and tractor-trailer operators. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration conducted a three-year study and found that over 11,000 truck collisions involved a distracted driver:
If a distracted truck driver has caused a preventable accident that injured you or a loved one, reach out to one of our tractor trailer lawyers today. We can advise you of your rights and help you with the next steps.
What Are the Categories of Distracted Driving in Pennsylvania and West Virginia?
At D’Amico Law Offices, LLC, our personal injury lawyers have helped victims of distracted drivers for decades. We understand distracted driving is not limited to cell phone use but is a generalized term used to describe multiple types of distractions, including:
- Cognitive Distractions: Mental distractions like daydreaming or letting your mind wander to your to-do list and other matters that are not driving.
- Manual Distractions: Physical distractions like letting go of the steering wheel to reach in the glove box
- Visual Distractions: The act of looking away from the road to read billboards, observe the scenery, or focusing too hard on finding the correct address and not paying closer attention to operating the vehicle
Can A Pennsylvania and West Virginia Tractor Trailer Accident Attorney Help?
Tractor trailer accidents are particularly devastating. Due to the size and weight of the vehicle, a driver must account for longer stopping distances, wider precision turns, height limits, and how the weight of the cargo shifts during a turn to prevent rollover.
If you have been injured in a distracted driving collision involving a large truck, call our tractor trailer accident lawyers today. At D’Amico Law Offices, LLC, we understand truck drivers have a greater responsibility to maintain safety standards on the road.
The job is highly regulated using logbooks and other reports. After an accident, if the tractor trailer driver works for a company, they will send their own investigator to assess the damage.
It is crucial to contact an experienced tractor trailer distracted driving accident attorney. Evidence that is vital to your claim should be handled quickly and with care. Our truck driving accident lawyers have the skills and resources to:
- Conduct a full investigation into your collision
- Determine all liable parties
- Gather key evidence to support your claim
- Retain medical experts and investigators
- Prepare and file the extensive paperwork with specific attention to detail and deadlines
- Negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to ensure you receive the settlement you deserve
If the insurance company does not agree to a fair settlement, our talented litigators will represent you at trial. We believe in putting our client’s best interests first and will fight for the verdict you need. Call and schedule your free consultation today with one of your Pennsylvania and West Virginia tractor trailer lawyers.
What Are the Most Common Injuries Associated with Distracted Driving?
Distracted driving is particularly serious for drivers of tractor trailers. Collisions often cause catastrophic and life-changing injuries, including:
- Broken, fractured, and dislocated bones
- Soft tissue injuries, usually involving joint damage
- Traumatic brain injuries, including permanent brain damage
- Neck and back injuries, whiplash
- Spinal cord injuries, including paraplegia
- Complete or partial paralysis
- Nerve damage
- Internal organ damage and bleeding
- Severe burns
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
At D’Amico Law Offices, LLC, our Pennsylvania and West Virginia distracted driving accident lawyers have been helping families for decades.
What Damages are Available in a Truck Accident Lawsuit?
If you or a loved one were injured due to a truck driver being distracted or otherwise negligent, you may be entitled to significant compensation for your losses. These may include:
- Complete coverage of your medical expenses related to the accident
- Lost wages if you are unable to work
- Loss of future income
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional distress damages
- Possible punitive damages for gross negligence
The damages awarded may depend on several factors, including the severity of the injuries, the amount of time spent in rehabilitation, and the skill of the attorney handling your case.
Why Choose D’Amico Law Offices, LLC as Your Tractor Trailer Lawyers
D’Amico Law Offices, LLC has been helping victims of negligence in Pennsylvania and West Virginia for decades. We believe the most effective representation values:
As a family-run law firm, we provide our clients with close, personal service and compassion. Our talented litigation team has extensive experience in complex personal injury claims. We will work tirelessly to ensure you and your family recover the compensation you deserve.
Call Our Distracted Driving Accident Lawyers at D’Amico Law Offices Today
At D’Amico Law Offices, LLC, we are invested in helping our clients secure the justice they deserve. Distracted driving causes severe injuries that may have long-term consequences. Distracted driving accidents involving tractor trailers are typically more severe, resulting in permanent damage or disability.
Call and schedule a free consultation with the dedicated family attorneys of D’Amico Law Offices, LLC today by clicking here or dialing (412) 652-9300. We have decades of combined experience handling cases involving commercial truck accidents. We work hard to ensure our clients obtain the compensation they need for their situation.
At D’Amico Law Firm, we work hard to not only obtain proper compensation for our clients, but also to ensure that they receive the guidance and attention they need every step of the way. Read what our former clients have to say:
I had the pleasure of working with Michael, but primarily Anthony D’amico as my attorney. Besides being a fantastic attorney who truly cares for his clients, he is a genuine person. I was always 100% prepared for anything that would or could be asked regarding my case and all possible outcomes. I was always notified immediately of any updates or changes. He’s trustworthy, professional and keeps all information 110% confidential, looking out for only his client regardless of who the other attorney is and what you’re up against. Mr. D’amico has bent over backwards for my case and only strives for the absolute best possible outcome.-J. Sullivan
Professionalism, integrity and personal attention are clearly what make this law firm successful. From my first meeting with the team, I was treated as a person that needed assistance and not merely a client. Every option was explained clearly without jargon and the emphasis was on what was best for me. They were very transparent about fees, repeatedly asked if I understood all that they said, and later responded to my calls or messages in a timely manner.-Stan. J.
The D’Amico’s handled my case with as little stress for me as possible. I found them to be trustworthy, professional, efficient & compassionate. They are good attorneys and good people.-M. Gordon