Pittsburgh Personal Injury Lawyers Who Stand Up for You
- Our Experience
- Types of Personal Injury Cases
- Damages in Personal Injury Case
- Who Can Be Held Liable?
- Family-Owned Pittsburgh Personal Injury Law Firm
- Personal Injury FAQs
Personal injury cases can involve serious injuries and violations that often lead to long-term consequences. Such incidents place tremendous burdens on the victims and their families. At D’Amico Law Offices, we understand the needs of injury victims and what it takes to obtain the remedies they deserve.
The personal injury lawyers at D’Amico Law Offices, LLC, proudly serve clients in Pennsylvania and West Virginia. We represent those who have been physically or psychologically injured due to the negligence or misconduct of another party. We are a small, family-run practice with lawyers and staff members who understand that a severe injury or death of a loved one is not about getting money; it is about helping you and your family get back on your feet.
The attorneys at D’Amico Law Offices have over 50 years of combined experience under our belts, so we have seen firsthand the devastation that a catastrophic injury or death can cause a family. When you hire our firm to represent you, we will do everything we can to guide you through the legal process and help you receive proper compensation and a sense of justice.
If you have suffered an injury or lost a loved one because of another party’s misconduct or negligence, contact D’Amico Law Offices, LLC today by calling (412) 652-9300 to schedule a free consultation.
We don’t charge any fees for your case evaluation. In fact, when we represent you in a personal injury or wrongful death claim, you won’t pay anything unless we help you recover compensation in a negotiated settlement or jury award from the trial.
Types of Cases a Pittsburgh Personal Injury Lawyer Can Handle
Personal injury law is one of the broadest fields of law. Injuries can happen in various places and situations. No matter how complex the claim, we are prepared to handle your case and see it through to completion.
Our Pittsburgh personal injury lawyers represent clients involved in a wide range of personal injury cases, including the following:
- Motor vehicle accident claims: Injuries and wrongful death resulting from car, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, and bicycle accidents
- Product liability claims: Injuries and death resulting from asbestos exposure, defective consumer and children’s products, and industrial equipment
- Premises liability: Accidents occurring on unsafe residential, business, or municipal properties
- Medical malpractice litigation: Injuries or death resulting from misdiagnoses, surgical errors, birth injuries, prescription mistakes, and hospital negligence
When selecting a Pittsburgh personal injury lawyer to handle your claim, it’s important to choose one who has proven experience with the exact type of personal injury issue you’re dealing with. Your attorney’s abilities can drastically affect the outcome of your case.
Personal injury cases can involve injuries such as:
- Broken bones
- Spine and nerve injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Chemical or toxic exposure
- Head, neck, and spine injuries
- Drug overdose/side effects
Regardless of the type of injury involved, you are likely going through a difficult time in your life. Adding a lawsuit on top of that can make you feel nervous or even frustrated. At D’Amico Law, we are here to ensure that you get the attention and personal touch needed during this process. Contact us at (412) 652-9300 to speak with an attorney in a free, confidential consultation.
What Damages Can I Collect in a Personal Injury Case?
If you have sustained an injury due to a severe accident, you may be wondering what type of compensation you are entitled to. In a personal injury lawsuit, this compensation is called a “damages award.” This is a financial award issued to the injured party, intended to help them recover losses caused by the other party’s negligence.
Damages awards vary from case to case and are calculated based on a number of factors. These include the severity of the injury, the degree of negligence of the other party, and other considerations.
Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may also recover damages for the following losses:
- Medical expenses resulting from your accident: This includes hospital stays, doctor visits and treatment, ambulance costs, expenses related to medication, and other costs. Seek medical attention immediately if you’ve been injured, and follow your doctor’s recommendations. Be sure to save all medical records and documents to help improve your ability to collect damages.
- Lost wages: In many instances, an injury can leave the victim unable to work for a period of time. Injuries can be severe enough that you are not able to perform your job duties or cannot work at all. In such cases, you can seek compensation for the wages lost during your recovery period.
- Loss of earning capacity: An accident can also permanently alter a person’s ability to perform various tasks. If your injuries prevent you from generating income as you could before the accident, you may be able to recover damages for loss of earning capacity.
- Loss of companionship: Injuries can affect the victim’s relationship with their spouse. In such instances, compensation may be available for loss of companionship. For example, if your injury has affected your ability to be affectionate with your spouse, you may be able to seek damages.
- Pain and suffering: This is a special type of damage award that is issued when a victim suffers mental and emotional pain due to the accident. These damages can only be collected in certain situations. Our attorneys can review your case and explain whether they may be available to you.
- Wrongful death damages: In the unfortunate event that an accident results in the death of a loved one, the surviving family members may be entitled to collect damages for funeral expenses and other related costs.
Again, your ability to collect damages often depends on the skill and ability of the personal injury attorney who is handling your case. A competent Pittsburgh personal injury lawyer will be able to review the facts of the case, relevant case law, and the evidence available in order to present a strong case for a full damages award.
Who Can be Held Liable for Injuries?
In a personal injury lawsuit, many different parties can be held liable (responsible) for your injuries.
Examples of liable parties may include:
- Vehicle drivers who disregard road rules
- Business and property owners who fail to maintain safe premises
- Manufacturers, distributors, and retailers who violate health and safety codes
- Professionals such as doctors who do not follow proper healthcare standards
Proving liability usually involves showing that the negligent party disregarded their duty of care to the injured party. The evidence must also prove that their conduct was the actual cause of the injuries.
In certain cases, there may be more than one liable party. An example of this is where there is a multiple-vehicle car crash, and several drivers are responsible for other people’s injuries. Such cases can be complex and will typically require the help of a lawyer.
Family-Owned Pittsburgh Personal Injury Law Firm
Personal injury claims involve many complex legal concepts and rules that require the guidance of an attorney. At D’Amico Law, we are a family-owned law firm and we aim to ensure that you are comfortable as you deal with this difficult time. We have the legal experience to help, and the human experience to care.
We advocate zealously for our clients with the knowledge, experience, and resources that other firms are unable to provide. This gives us an advantage over our competitors and a head start on resolving your case.
If you or a loved one of yours were injured due to someone else’s negligence, contact a Pittsburgh personal injury lawyer at (412) 652-9300. Your consultation is confidential and free of cost. Let us help you obtain the justice and remedy you deserve.
Pittsburgh Personal Injury Lawyer FAQs
How Long Does a Personal Injury Case Take to Complete?
There is no set time for the length of a personal injury case. Each case is unique and will involve different factors. Generally speaking, the more simple and straightforward the legal issue, the more promptly it will be resolved.
For instance, minor car accidents may take several months to fully resolve through the court system. In comparison, more complex lawsuits that involve multiple defendants and serious injuries or deaths may sometimes take longer than a year to complete.
What Factors Determine Compensation in a Personal Injury Case?
Compensation in a personal injury case depends on many factors. These include the severity of the injury, how negligent the liable party was, state and local laws, and whether or not the injured person contributed to their own injury.
Calculation of damages is a complicated process, but a qualified Pittsburgh personal injury attorney can ensure that you receive the appropriate compensation for your losses.
When Should I Contact a Pittsburgh Personal Injury Lawyer?
You should contact a Pittsburgh personal injury lawyer as soon as you suspect that you have a legal claim. In most cases, this means immediately following an accident or right after you discover your injury. There are filing deadlines associated with all injury lawsuits. Once this deadline passes, you may not be eligible for damages anymore.
Be sure to seek medical attention promptly also, as failing to obtain treatment can sometimes affect your case negatively.
What Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Do to Help Me?
A personal injury lawyer can perform several tasks that require specific training and experience. They will be able to:
- Assess the facts of your case to determine your options
- Review the laws that apply to your case
- Gather information and organize evidence for trial
- Construct an effective and powerful legal strategy for trial
- Argue your case in court and obtain a damages award on your behalf
For the greatest chance of success, you should select an attorney who has extensive knowledge of the laws and court system in Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas. Get in touch with us at (412) 652-9300 to learn about your legal options.
“Mike handled a mesothelioma case for a family member and did a wonderful job. He was patient, caring, and accommodating, which was crucial as our family was dealing with the deterioration and ultimate passing of our loved one. Mike shielded the family from the majority of the stress of the case and was always available via phone to answer our questions, patiently making sure we understood what was happening.”
“Professionalism, integrity and personal attention are clearly what make this law firm successful. From my first meeting with the team, I was treated as a person that needed assistance and not merely a client. Every option was explained clearly without jargon and the emphasis was on what was best for me. They were very transparent about fees, repeatedly asked if I understood all that they said, and later responded to my calls or messages in a timely manner. An excellent experience throughout my engagement with the D’amico team.